Governor Committees at Poplar Primary School
The Governors work in Partnership with the Headteacher, Mrs Spick.
The Headteacher and her staff are responsible for the operational function of the school and the Governing Body are the strategic role at Poplar Primary School.
The Statutory Functions of the Governing Body are;
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure that its money is well spent, including the pupil premium.
How are Governing Bodies made up?
Governing bodies were required to undergo a process of re-constitution before September 2015. This was to ensure they have a dynamic governing body which is no larger than it needs to be, with governors who are actively contributing the relevant skills and experience. They are:
- Parent governors - elected by other parents at the school
- A staff governor - elected by teachers and support staff working at the school
- The Headteacher
- A local authority governor - nominated by the local authority; appointed by the governing body
- Co-opted governors - chosen and appointed by the governing body
- Associated Governors
- Foundation governors at church schools - appointed by the diocesan boards and church authorities.
There may be other categories of governor depending on the type of school.
Our Governors sit on one of the following committees;
- Business and Finance
- Teaching and Learning
- Community, Pupils and Personnel