Poplar’s School Council was first set up in 2006. Our School Council represents the voice of the children. Each year voting takes place in every classroom in Key Stage 2, for the children who have campaigned to be elected to the School Council. The council meet regularly to discuss a wide variety of school issues. The Key stage 2 council reps lead the school council meetings in Key stage 1 during class assembly time. They feedback to classes and listen to the views of the children. Ideas are then brought back to the main school council meetings to be discussed.
What do the School Council do?
The School Council takes part in lots of activities including:
- Listening to the views, ideas and concerns of other children
- Bringing these concerns to School Council meetings
- Coming up with ideas to help improve the school and make decisions
- Sharing in some of the policy making such as the Lunchtime Codes
- Being part of the interviewing process for new staff
- Thinking of ways to contribute locally and globally
- Supporting fundraising activities for Poplar and charities
- Representing the school at events such as Local Democracy week
- Being part of the Rights Respecting School steering group
Last year the School Council lead various fund raising events for good causes. Each year group decided on a charity they would like to support. They chose the type of event they would like to do. This ranged from a sponsored scoot to wearing something orange for a day. A grand total of £1053 was raised.
The School Council decided that they would like to raise money to buy a friendship bench. They held 3 events: a Table Top Toy sale, an Easter egg raffle and a cake sale. This raised a total of £413 which was enough to buy a friendship bench made out of recycled plastic. This is now under the school mosaic in the playground.
This year the School Council have plans to raise money to buy items for the new Games Zone in the playground. They are going to have a daffodil growing competition, a Table Top Toy sale and another event to be decided on.
School Council Members 2018-19
|Year group||Class||Council rep||Year group||Class||Council Rep|
|Year 3||Rowan||Yusra||Year 5||Hazel||Rosie|
|Year 3||Pine||Arisha||Year 5||Willow||Taibah|
|Year 3||Elm||Sadie||Year 6||Cedar||Alice|
|Year 4||Beech||Isabelle||Year 6||Maple||Alexander|
|Year 4||Larch||Edward||Year 6||Oak||Rebecca|