Poplar’s School Council was first set up in 2006. Our School Council represents the voice of the children. Each year voting takes place in every classroom in Key Stage 1 and 2, for the children who have campaigned to be elected to the School Council. The council meet regularly to discuss a wide variety of school issues.
What do the School Council do?
The School Council takes part in lots of activities including:
- Listening to the views, ideas and concerns of other children
- Bringing these concerns to School Council meetings
- Coming up with ideas to help improve the school and make decisions
- Sharing in some of the policy making such as the Lunchtime Codes
- Being part of the interviewing process for new staff
- Thinking of ways to contribute locally and globally
- Supporting fundraising activities for Poplar and charities
- Representing the school at events such as Local Democracy week
- Being part of the Rights Respecting School steering group
At our last meeting, the school council interviewed Sally about school meals and she answered questions raised by the children. They asked about portion sizes and the choices on the menu. Sally explained that both are decided on by a nutritionist, so cannot be changed. The children are enjoying selecting their own desert. After Easter there will be a new menu. Sally would welcome the opportunity to come back and talk to the children again.The children asked for chalk boards in the playground and Mr Stevens has made two and put them up outside. There has been a lot of new equipment provided for the children at lunchtimes, as requested by the school council. The children have been asked to give feedback to the School Council about Playground Pals.
School Council Members 2016-17
|Year group||Class||Council rep||Year group||Class||Council Rep|
|Year 1||Green||Year 4||Beech|
|Year 1||Yellow||Year 4||Larch|
|Year 1||Lilac||Year 4||Fir|
|Year 2||Turquoise||Year 5||Hazel|
|Year 2||Blue||Year 5||Willow|
|Year 3||Pine||Year 6||Cedar|
|Year 3||Elm||Year 6||Maple|